Environmental and Safety Solutions
Adoption of Dry Stack Tailings (DST) for Sustainable Safety and Environmental Practices for Tailings Management
Water is life. The world’s water is becoming increasingly poorer in quality and a new approach to the manner in which we plan, manage and use water is required. Sustainable water management, together with safety, are increasingly important topics for mining operations around the world; especially in areas where water conservation is critical and/or tailings failure risks are significant.
Advantages of DST facilities
DST systems offer a number of advantages to other surface tailings storage options – some of which include:
- Significant safety improvement with the risk of catastrophic dam failure and tailings runout being eliminated. DST facilities are also suitable to areas of high seismic activity and areas where there is limited construction material to develop a conventional retention impoundment
- Reduced water requirements, principally achieved by recycling process water and near elimination of water losses through seepage and/or evaporation
- Groundwater contamination through seepage is virtually eliminated
- Smaller tailings footprint and can be used in “aggressive environments” (e.g. undulating or steep terrain)
- Significantly better regulator and public perceptions
- Easier to close and rehabilitate
Adopting a DST system with regards the management of tailings is thus a tangible approach to sustainable water and safety management efforts. Download our Dry Stack Tailings brochure.
Our Competence in DST – Importance of the Complete System
TAKRAF, together with our respected DELKOR solid/liquid separation brand of products, is your one-stop DST solutions provider. We provide a variety of solutions ranging from single equipment pieces to integrated systems and complete turnkey projects for the whole tailings process, including:
- DELKOR thickeners - conventional, high rate, high density or paste
- DELKOR Horizontal Belt Filters (HBF)
- DELKOR Filter Press (FP) – overhead beam, sidebar or FAST
- TAKRAF conveyors – plant, overland and shiftable
- TAKRAF mobile trippers
- TAKRAF mobile stacking bridges
- TAKRAF spreaders – single boom, compact class and superior class
We are uniquely positioned to ensure that we are able to choose from a range of equipment that best manages your specific DST requirements.
We boast significant competence and experience in DST:
- Material testing including material characterization, thickening and filtration tests
- Experienced equipment selection and operational planning team providing different levels of techno-economic studies and further engineering services
- Strong expertise in high yield stress underflow with DELKOR high compaction thickener products, as well as various filtering technologies
- Decades of experience in engineering and supplying conveyor and stacker systems
- Developed global network for local technical support and site services
We leverage our knowledge and experience garnered from over 30 years of providing thickeners to the mining industry and apply it to the extreme mechanical and process requirements needed when dealing with high yield stress underflows. The sedimentation method employing high compaction thickeners produces one of the highest concentrations of solids in the industry. The thickening process increases water recovery reducing the requirement for fresh water and overall environmental impact.
We are in the unique position to be able supply a filtration system based on the most appropriate technology to actual process and customer requirements, rather than supplying equipment in our product portfolio based on a single technology.
- Our DELKOR horizontal vacuum belt filters are an efficient and reliable solution for dewatering a wide range of materials
- Our DELKOR filter press FP solution spans the range of 3 different filter press technologies: overhead beam, sidebar and FAST (DELKOR proprietary patented technology)
The safe and efficient conveying and dumping of materials with challenging properties is what we have been doping for the past 200 years. Our material handling solutions cover all forms of DST requirements for the safe and efficient, movement of filtered tailings - maximizing availability to maintain plant uptime. By stacking compacted tailings, land requirements are reduced and the risk of catastrophic dam failures is eliminated. Conventional tailings storage methods incur costs post-mine closeout due to maintenance; however, DST areas can be rehabilitated and blend with the natural environment.
Our depth and breadth of DST equipment includes conveyors (plant, overland and shiftable), mobile trippers, mobile stacking bridges and spreaders (single boom, compact class and superior class).