Solvent Extraction (SX)
Tenova Advanced Technologies operates as a combined technology developer and package plant supplier in Solvent Extraction (SX) and Electrowinning (EW) and our experience and expertise covers all aspects of SX.
Tenova Advanced Technologies (TAT) operates as a combined technology developer and package plant supplier in SX and EW and our experience and expertise covers all aspects of SX, including:
- Development of SX processes utilizing TAT’s in-house R&D center
- Feasibility studies and cost estimates
- Detailed design, supply and construction of SX plants based upon:
- Tenova Settler™ (proprietary reverse flow mixer settler)
- Tenova Pulsed Column
- Tenova Turbulent Technologies Mixing System
The Tenova Settler™ is a patented technology that enhances efficiency and provides numerous advantages as compared to conventional settlers used in traditional SX circuits.
- High process efficiency with low organic loss
- Compact layout
- Short construction time
- Low capital cost
- Ease of operation and maintenance
TAT’s significant experience in designing, installing and commissioning SX plants employing the Tenova Settler™ technology, enables it to supply the SX section of an SX plant on a Lump Sum Turnkey (LSTK) basis providing the client with full process and mechanical guarantees.
Some of the many advantages of the Tenova Settler™ technology as compared to similar designs include:
- Approximately a 20 % lower in capital cost for the SX plant
- Increased flux rate capability which can further reduce costs
- Decreased organic losses
- Operator friendly physical layout
- Total automatic control capability
- Improved fire prevention and control features
Tenova Pulsed Column
The Tenova Pulsed Column is a highly efficient and cost-effective contactor that enhances SX during the extraction, stripping and scrubbing or washing processes.
Some of the many advantages of the Tenova Pulsed Column technology include:
- The extraction is a multi-stage continuous process
- The system can handle liquids with suspended solids or which form third phases
- Safe and environmentally friendly process
- The columns have no internal moving parts
- A fully automated system
- Low maintenance and operating costs
- Dramatically reduces floor space required
- Head space can be inerted, virtually eliminating solvent loss and fire risk
Virtually all industrial SX processes can be enhanced by employing the Tenova Pulsed Column technology; particularly those with a fast rate of mass transfer – some of these include:
- Minerals processing: uranium, nickel, cobalt, zinc, titanium
- Chemical industry: nitric, phosphoric and hydrochloric acid
- Environmental protection: recovery of nitrates, sulfuric acid, cyanides, and halides
- Additional applications include: pharmaceutical, food and petroleum industries
Tenova Turbulent Technologies Mixing System
Tenova Turbulent Technologies Mixing System is a leading new mixing technology that enables a significant reduction of entrainment levels without changing the process flow. The technology can be easily retrofitted to most existing mixer settlers or installed in new SX plants.
A few unique capabilities of this mixing technology:
- Creates uniform dispersion in the mixing tank (avoiding formation of small droplets)
- Predictable and controlled drop size distribution as a function of the mixing regime, allowing process optimization
Some of the advantages of the Tenova Turbulent Technologies Mixing System include:
- Reduction in entrainment of expensive extractants
- Reduction in organic contamination in the product stream
- Reduction in ecological impact of organics in the raffinate stream
- Enabling of an increase of settling flux (flow per unit settler area) while maintaining the same level of entrainment
- Reduction in maintenance costs
- Elimination of the need for after-settlers
Lump Sum Turnkey and Design & Supply Solutions
Tenova Advanced Technologies is one of only a few companies able to offer pulsed column and mixer settler design and installation as a complete package, with process and mechanical guarantees. Accurate cost estimates are generated during the feasibility study phases and are based upon proven scale-up factors from pilot scale test work.
Our SX R&D team offers comprehensive process and equipment development, supported by a complete suite of facilities and laboratories for in-house bench-scale and pilot testing of SX circuits and state-of-the-art analytical services. Our extensive collaborative network covers research institutions and test work laboratories in Australia, Canada and South Africa.
We have implemented SX projects across a range of commodities, many of which moved from laboratory test work, bench and mini-pilot plant testing, through to pilot and demonstration plants, and implementation of full-scale industrial plants.
- Minerals and metals industry: processing of uranium, copper, nickel, cobalt, gold, zinc, rare earth elements and vanadium
- Specialized SX processes for the minerals industry including sulfuric acid, halides and cyanide removal
- Chemical industry: processing of nitric, phosphoric, hydrochloric and citric acids, inorganic salts and organic solvents
- Bio-based chemical industry: downstream separation of bio-based products and bio-fuels
- Environmental protection: effluent treatment, removal of nitrates and heavy metals
- Petrochemical industry: processing of lubricant oils and caprolactam
SX Project Development
Based upon years of experience and know-how, we have developed and refined a comprehensive step-by-step approach for project development, ensuring the all-round fulfillment of project requirements and the ultimate successful delivery of the project.
Brief Overview of Selected Projects
- Antofagasta Minerals, Antucoya, Chile: Design, supply and construction of an 80,000 tpa copper SX-EW plant
- Baja Mining, Boleo, Mexico: Design of a 60,000 tpa copper SX-EW plant consisting of 4 SX circuits and 2 EW facilities
- Kazakhmys, North Nurkazgan, Kazakhstan: Design and supply of a 3,000 tpa copper SX plant
- Vale Inco, Long Harbor, Canada: Design and supply of a nickel/cobalt/copper SX plant
- AngloGold Ashanti, SUP SX Replacement, South Africa: Design and supply of a uranium SX plant
- Vale, Goro, New Caledonia: Design and supply of two SX plants for nickel and cobalt
- Codelco, Gaby, Chile: Design, supply and construction of a 150,000 tpa copper SX-EW plant
- BHP, Olympic Dam, South Australia: Design, supply and construction of a uranium SX plant
- Vale, Tres Valles, Chile: Design, supply and construction of a 22,000 tpa copper SX-EW plant
Electrowinning (EW)Tenova Advanced Technologies (TAT) provides services and proprietary equipment, as well as complete circuit packages for Electrowinning (EW) sections of metal recovery plants for the mining industry.
Heap LeachTenova Advanced Technologies (TAT) employs the Sensoil Vadose Zone Monitoring System (VMS) for heap leach and tailings dam applications.